Digital marketing was born in the 1990s. Since then, the industry has developed at an incredible speed, spawning many different slyles of marketing: from search engine marketing to neuromarketing. Brands can use a combination of these tactics to engage their target audience and increase revenue. But how to understand which marketer your business needs?
The rapid development of digital marketing and market trends have led to the emergence of many different types of marketers, each with its strengths. Demand for marketers with expertise in a specific direction is growing. It is a narrow specialization that allows you to achieve the maximum result in marketing activities. In this article, we will understand the main types of marketing and determine what is the peculiarity and specificity of each of the types of marketers.
The main types of marketing
Let’s start from the very beginning – let’s define the main types of marketing, so that it will be easier for you and me to understand the multifaceted nature of the marketer’s profession.
Outbound marketing refers to intrusive promotions such as cold calling and email mailing lists. It is called “outbound” because it involves contacting potential customers regardless of their interest. In other words, this is direct advertising.
The opposite of outbound marketing is inbound marketing. It is focused on attracting customers, not distracting them. Most inbound marketing tactics fall under digital marketing. The main tasks of this type of marketing are to attract, attract and delight. The initial goal is to create valuable content and experiences that will resonate with your target audience and drive referrals to the company.
Digital marketing is the opposite of traditional marketing. To reach the target audience, technologies are used that entered our lives with the advent of the Internet. Businesses use various digital channels such as search engines, social media, email and websites to communicate with current and potential customers.
Types of marketers in 2022
Based on these types of marketing, different types of marketers with narrower specializations have appeared. Often the role and responsibilities of different types of specialists may overlap. However, their value for business lies in expertise in a specific direction. This allows you to choose a marketer who will develop a relevant strategy for the target audience.
A digital marketer deals exclusively with the digital space and is responsible for using various online channels to attract potential customers and increase brand awareness. Duties of a digital marketer include:
- plan, strategize and manage digital marketing campaigns, including SEO promotion , content marketing, email marketing , social media marketing and PPC ;
- define metrics and key performance indicators ( KPI );
- measure performance and create reports;
- look for new opportunities to attract potential customers and increase conversion;
- communicate with specialists to maximize the effectiveness of digital marketing campaigns, including designers, developers, PPC and SEO specialists.
A brand marketer is responsible for the overall image of a product or company. The main task is to maintain the integrity of the brand in all marketing initiatives and communications of the company. This involves working closely with other team members to adopt the brand strategy for the target market. The brand marketer is responsible for the positioning of the company, and the duties of the specialist include:
- construction of the company’s communication style;
- creation of a brand concept for the short and long term;
- assistance in product development and launch;
- creating and managing advertising campaigns to maintain product relevance and branding;
- monitoring of competitors.
Responsibilities of a content marketer include:
- analyze blogs and social networks of competitors;
- work with the text: writing articles, checking the prepared material, SEO-optimization of the text;
- assemble a team of authors;
- agree on the reposting of articles on other resources;
- make a content plan;
- analyzeof the target audience;
- analyze Google Analytics metrics that are responsible for the “Blog” section.
TikTok marketer – specializes in promoting a brand or service on TikTok. For this, the marketer can use different tactics. For example, influencer marketing, TikTok advertising, and creating organic viral content. TikTok marketer will help:
- increase brand awareness with TikTok;
- create communities on TikTok;
- sell goods or services through TikTok;
- get feedback from customers and audience;
- advertise goods and services to the target audience.
The main task of a stories marketer is to use creative stories to increase sales, brand recognition, build communication with the target audience, etc. The essence of the stories-marketing technique is the perception of stories as a separate, full-fledged marketing channel. The responsibilities of this marketer include:
- develop a strategy and content plan;
- prepare visuals and creatives;
- to think over semantic packaging, key messages and tone of voice;
- analyze performance indicators.
A community marketer is responsible for communicating with the audience. The global task of the community marketer is to establish a relationship between the brand and the audience, increase trust in the brand and increase its presence on the Internet. To do this, the specialist develops a strategy for engaging users in an active, unobtrusive dialogue. Responsibilities include:
- daily communication with users on the site, in social networks, messengers;
- maintaining the tone of voice of the brand in all messages and interactions, maintaining a positive image of the company.
- collection and analysis of feedback from community members on social. networks;
- attraction of new community members;
- control of network etiquette and other norms of behavior that correspond to the rules of the community, protection of personal data.
- Prepare analytical reports with proposals for improving established KPIs.
An email marketer is a digital marketing specialist who deals with building email lists, creating emails and attracting potential customers through email. The main duties of an email marketer:
- creation and monitoring of email marketing campaigns;
- optimization of design and layouts of e-mails, their convenience for users;
- proofreading of key messages for e-mail distribution;
- compiling lists of email addresses;
- email tracking;
- tracking and analysis of campaign results.
The task and role of a push marketer are very similar to that of an e-mail marketer. The only difference is that the specialist’s main focus is on push notifications. The marketer informs the target audience about the services and products of the brand with the help of browser messages and develops an appropriate strategy for this.
An SMS marketer can be compared to an email or push marketer. The main focus of the SMS marketing strategy is sending SMS messages to potential and current customers.
Direct marketing is the marketing of direct communications. The task of a direct marketer is to build a strategy of communication with the audience and implement it in practice. For this, the specialist uses mailing services, SMS, push notifications, and web analytics services. The specialization combines the tasks of an email marketer, push marketer, SMS marketer and CRM manager.
Affiliate marketing is a method of promoting goods or services in which the advertiser pays for a specific result. For example, the number of paid orders. An affiliate marketer works with affiliate programs. His task is to drive as much traffic as possible to the site through interactions with partner CPA networks and webmasters. The responsibilities of an affiliate marketer include:
- to look for new partners;
- develop promotion strategies;
- analyze campaigns and results, suggest improvements;
- determine which partners are working effectively and which are not;
- check the quality of traffic from webmasters;
At first glance, it may seem that the role and tasks of an SEO marketer are not very different from those of a digital marketer. Both have the same goals, which is to increase awareness and sales. However, the SEO marketer has a more technical role, which makes his work much more specialized . Common tasks of an SEO marketer will include:
- optimization of content on the website;
- discussion and agreement with backlink SEO specialists;
- development of an SEO strategy;
- site monitoring and user analysis;
- keyword research;
- market analysis.
How to understand which marketer your business needs?
So, you and I have understood the main types of marketers. A logical question arises: how to choose the right specialist? The choice of a marketer depends on the resources of the company, the audience and the strengths of the brand.
For example, email distribution will be more successful for serious and conservative brands, the presence of a database of email addresses also plays an important role here. That is, when choosing a marketer for the team, it is necessary to take into account the audience, the advertising budget, the specifics of the niche and the product.
Leave a Reply